About this Blog

This is primarily my academic record of work experience. I need to record my reflective writing on my experiences. Comments and suggestions are welcome, but please keep it fairly appropriate; I will be moderating the comments.

Tuesday 24 May 2011

Summing Up

I worked for Sustainability at the University since late July 2010. During that time I have developed myself in a professional role. My timekeeping has improved as has my personal presentation. I have also learnt many new skills, particularly in data analysis and management.

Within the time officially designated ‘work experience’ I feel that I have gained a lot of useful experience. My main improvement has been with my methods of organising work. The pressures of only working one afternoon a week, and of having to keep a reflective journal have forced me to keep a notebook as I work. I have found this makes me better organised, more aware of my tasks and better able to answer queries about my work. Previously I worked with notes, but I rarely contained these in a book. Instead I had a series of notes spread across several different bits of scrap paper. This often caused confusion and made my work area messy. A notebook is more practical, contained and allows for better reflection.

My reflective practice has been helpful in demonstrating to me how I can improve my work. It has fed back into changing my work practices; I have started ordering my tasks better after realising this was an area of weakness. I have not been as regular at uploading my reflective practice, or filling it in as I should have been. I also feel that the usefulness of the reflective practice was diminished by the fact that I started completing it after more than 6 months working in that position. If I had begun reflective practice as soon as I started work it would have been very helpful in allowing me to see the areas I needed to improve. When I next start a new job I will start keeping a reflective practice journal – this will ensure I settle into the role as quickly as possible. The techniques I have learnt will help me to become better at my next job.

I feel that my employability has been hugely boosted by my time working in Sustainability. The work was professional, office based and practical – something employers are keen to see. I have learnt to conduct myself in an office environment, co-operate with colleagues and to take the direction of several different people. These skills and a long series of tasks I am now familiar with will be at the forefront of my new CV and will help me get my next job.

It only remains to say thank you to all my co-workers. They have all been supportive, kind and generous as well has giving me plenty of opportunities to prove myself. I have developed as a person and matured within that working environment and I will bring their generous spirit wherever I next work.

No comments:

Post a Comment